Fluoride has been found in toothpastes since the 1890's and in our water systems since the 1940's. Despite what we were told about using fluoride toothpaste, dental rinses and fluorinated water etc. with respect to preventing tooth decay, it appears its efficacy is limited and its risks outweigh any potential benefits. Furthermore, evidence shows that fluoride (if excessively ingested during childhood) can actually damage the enamel of tooth resulting in tooth staining known as dental fluorosis http://poisonfluoride.com/pfpc/html/dental_fluorosis.html .
Evidence Rejecting the Safety and Efficacy of Fluoride:
- Fluoride ingestion has been implicated in causing many health-related problems (i.e. thyroid disease, cancers (especially bone cancers in young men), reduced thyroid function, reduced IQ, increased risk for bone fractures, immune deficiencies, arthritis, possibly even atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) etc.).
- In 1990 forty US dentists brought a case against the American Dental Association contending that the Association purposefully shielded the public from data that links fluoride to genetic defects, cancer and other health problems (Columbus Dispatch, Oct 21, 1990).
- Since 1990 over 45 U.S. cities have rejected fluoridation.
- Europe has largely rejected fluorination of water since about 98% of Europe’s drinking water is now fluoride free.
- In 1987 the National Institute of Dental Health did a large study involving over 39,000 school children and found the incidence of cavities in communities that used fluoridated water vs. those that did not use fluoridated water was not significantly different. (Dr J. Yiamouyiannus Water Fluoridation & Tooth Decay Study, Fluoride 23 : pp 55-67, 1990.).
- National Cancer Institute did a study and found that as exposure to fluoride increases, so does the incidence of oral cancer; sometimes by as much as 50%.
- Fluoride in water supplies up to 1 ppm were associated with an increase incidence of hip fractures in women. The study concluded that fluoride may accumulate in the body (reaching toxic levels with age) ultimately increasing the risk for bone fractures. (Danielson, C., et al, "Hip Fractures and Fluoridation in Utah's Elderly Population", Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol 286, No.6, August 1992, pp.746-748)
- The lethal dose of fluoride is about 5 mg fluoride for every 2.2 lbs. (1 kilogram) of body weight. However, it is important to note that only one tube of toothpaste if swallowed there is enough fluoride to kill a 60-pound (30-kilogram) child.
- Even the National Research Council (NRC) which is the nations primary scientific advisory body states that fluoride has essentially no benefits after age 8 when teeth are fully developed.
- EPA HEADQUARTERS UNION OF SCIENTISTS OPPOSES FLUORIDATION OF DRINKİNG WATER http://www.nteu280.org/Issues/Fluoride/NTEU280-Fluoride.htm .
- A review of 11 studies involving more than 7,000 children showed that the effect of fluoride supplements on primary teeth could not be determined. One study even showed that fluoride had no cavity-reducing effect.
- Unless you are considered by your dentist to be "high risk" for developing cavities, use fluoride-free toothpastes like (Tom's of Maine, Theodent etc.) or brush your teeth using baking soda http://healthylivingtalk.org/brush-teeth-baking-soda.html.
- If you continue to use a fluoride based toothpaste, use only a very small amount (pea-sized) and rinse out your mouth out thoroughly.....do not swallow !!!
- Avoid using fluoride-based dental rinses....here is a fluoride-free version for your review http://www.herbalhut.com/detail.aspx?ID=26492 .
Informational Videos Regarding the Dangers of Fluoride
Dr. Osmunson on Fluoride (Very informational discussion)
Fluoride: The Hard to Swallow Truth Documentary
(An excellent documentary)
Theodent "Chocolate" Toothpaste
Sources for this post include: